There is this Indian American kid who wins the US National Spelling Bee contest and I think to myself, would Z be interested in words? That is what parenting does to you. Every news piece, information, fact becomes a reason to worry or rejoice or ponder upon. Needless to say I am loving it :)

I finished Chimamanda Adichie's Purple Hibiscus last week and loved it. In the same vein, I started reading her Americanah. I am nearing the end of the book but did not enjoy it s much as the previous one. I enjoy long novels, so the length was not the issue. The author speaks about racism at length and with such frequency that one is allowed to think that all that runs in the minds of African Americans all day is the fact that they are black. Living in England, I have been subject to feelings such as, did he say that because I am Asian or was I ignored as a choice because of my ethinicity. At times, it could be my imagination. maybe at all times, it is. And it hurts, real bad. You think we have come a long way from what it was and think it is absurd to think of stuff like racism. But that is how things are sometimes. Adichie's book however, makes me feel it is an overkill of an emotion. Maybe it is not. One cannot judge a person without walking in their shoes.

I cannot wait to finish it and start Mohsin Hamid's Moth Smoke.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chamathu, anyone?